Re: type OIDs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: type OIDs
Date: 2000-09-15 14:23:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Can I safely assume that the OID of the standard data types remain the same
> for future releases? And of course that they are the same for every
> installation?

They are fixed in any one version, and really are not very likely to
change across versions either. But I suppose it could happen.

> I've been send a patch to speed up ecpg significantly by not looking up
> datatypes everytime. As it is written right now it works by har coding some
> types. I wonder if this will create problems.

Exactly how "hard coded" do you mean? If you #include "catalog/pg_types.h"
and use the OID #defines therein, you're not doing any worse than a lot
of places in the backend. At worst you'd create a cross-major-version
incompatibility for ecpg.