Re: make unsuccessful on mac os x 10.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fortin <pommele(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make unsuccessful on mac os x 10.2
Date: 2002-09-10 16:15:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Michael Fortin <pommele(at)mindspring(dot)com> writes:
> This are the only log entries produced at startup:
> Failed to initialize lc_time to ''
> FATAL: invalid value for option 'LC_TIME': 'en_US'

The first of these is a mistake (Peter thought he'd fixed it a month
ago, but his fix was incomplete; I believe I've fixed the fix, and am
about to reboot into OSX to check). The second is OS X's bug: it ought
to take en_US as a legal setting for LC_TIME, but seems not to. It is
depressing that Apple evidently didn't fix that in 10.2. See prior
discussion
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2002-08/msg00062.php

It seems we have not done anything about trying to validate the user's
LANG/LC_xxx environment settings, and so initdb is quite capable of
accepting settings that will prevent the postmaster from starting.
The short-term fix is to fix your LANG before initdb, or tweak the
postgresql.conf file after.

Oh, and file a bug report with Apple ;-)