Re: Radix tree for character conversion

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi, tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Radix tree for character conversion
Date: 2016-10-31 00:59:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

At Fri, 28 Oct 2016 09:42:25 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in <13049(dot)1477662145(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> > On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 3:23 AM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
> > <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> >> Perhaps we can put the files into our repositoy by providing some
> >> notifications.
>
> > Uggh, I don't much like advertising clauses.
>
> Even if the license were exactly compatible with ours, I'd be -1 on
> bloating our tarballs with these files. They're large and only a
> tiny fraction of developers, let alone end users, will ever care
> to look at them.

I understood that the intention of Heikki's suggestion, that is,
these might be included in PostgreSQL's repository, is looking
for a kind of stability, or consistency. The source files are not
revision-mangaged. In case where the authorities get unwanted
changes or no longer avaiable, .map files have to be edited
irelevantly from the authority files maybe from the reason that
. Actually some map files have lost their authority file or other
map files have got several direct modifications. We will be free
from such disturbance by containing "frozen" authority files.

On the other hand, I also agree that the advertising or
additional bloats of source repositiry are a nuisance.

> I think it's fine as long as we have a README file that explains
> where to get them. (I'm not even very thrilled with the proposed
> auto-download script, as it makes undesirable assumptions about
> which internet tools you use, not to mention that it won't work
> at all on Windows.)

Mmm. It would be a pain in the neck. Some of the files are
already stored in "OBSOLETE" directory in the Unicode consortium
ftp site, and one of them has been vanished and available from
another place, a part of ICU source tree. On the other hand map
files are assumed to be generated from the scripts and are to
discuraged to be directly edited. Radix map files are uneditable
and currently made from the authority files. If some authority
files are gone, the additional edit have to be done directly onto
map files, and they are in turn to be the authority for radix
files. (it's quite easy to chage the authority to current map
files, though).

By the way, the following phrase of the terms of license.

http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html

| COPYRIGHT AND PERMISSION NOTICE
|
| Copyright (c) 1991-2016 Unicode, Inc. All rights reserved.
| Distributed under the Terms of Use in http://www.unicode.org/copyright.html.
|
| Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining
| a copy of the Unicode data files and any associated documentation
| (the "Data Files") or Unicode software and any associated documentation
| (the "Software") to deal in the Data Files or Software
| without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,
| copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or sell copies of
| the Data Files or Software, and to permit persons to whom the Data Files
| or Software are furnished to do so, provided that either
| (a) this copyright and permission notice appear with all copies
| of the Data Files or Software, or
| (b) this copyright and permission notice appear in associated
| Documentation.

I'm afraid that the map (and _radix.map files) are the translates
of the "Data Files", and 'translate' is a part of 'modify'.

Either the notice is necessary or not, if we decide to wipe the
'true' authority out from our source files, I'd like to make the
map files (preferably with comments) as the second authority,
_radix.map files are to be getenerated from them, since they're
not editable.

> I'd actually vote for getting rid of the reference files we
> have in the tree now (src/backend/utils/mb/Unicode/*txt), on
> the same grounds. That's 600K of stuff that does not need to
> be in our tarballs.

Anyway, I'd like to register this as an item of this CF.

regares,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center