Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold <

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: pgsql: Avoid extra locks in GetSnapshotData if old_snapshot_threshold <
Date: 2016-04-13 21:23:56
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On 2016-04-13 16:05:25 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> OK, thanks. I can't think of anything else to ask for at this
> point. If you feel that you have enough to press for some
> particular course of action, go for it.

I think we, at the very least, need a clear proposal how to resolve the
scalability issue around OldSnapshotTimeMapLock in 9.6. Personally I
think we shouldn't release with such a large regression due to a
performance oriented feature; but if we do, we need to be confident that
we can easily resolve it for 9.7. In contrast to the spinlock issue I
don't see an easy way unfortunately. Without such a plan it seems too
likely to go unfixed for a long time otherwise.

> Personally, I want to do some more investigation on those big
> machines.

Sounds good, especially around the regression with the feature disabled.

Andres