Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refer to a TOKEN_USER payload as a "token user, " not as a "user

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Refer to a TOKEN_USER payload as a "token user, " not as a "user
Date: 2016-04-03 03:02:23
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 11:07:01PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > * Noah Misch (noah(at)leadboat(dot)com) wrote:
> >> I see some advantages of writing "TokenUser", as you propose. However, our
> >> error style guide says "Avoid mentioning called function names, either;
> >> instead say what the code was trying to do." Mentioning an enumerator name is
> >> morally similar to mentioning a function name.
>
> > That's a fair point, but it doesn't mean we should use a different
> > spelling for the enumerator name to avoid that piece of the policy. I
> > certianly don't see "token user" as saying "what the code was trying to
> > do" in this case.
>
> FWIW, "token user" conveys entirely inappropriate, politically incorrect
> connotations to me ;-). I don't have any great suggestions on what to use
> instead, but I share Stephen's unhappiness with the wording as-committed.

The wording in GetTokenUser() and AddUserToTokenDacl() seems fine; let's
standardize on that. Also, every GetTokenUser() failure has been yielding two
messages, the second contributing no further detail. I'll reduce that to the
usual one message per failure.

nm

Attachment Content-Type Size
token-msg-dedup-v1.patch text/plain 521 bytes
token-user-v1.patch text/plain 2.6 KB