Re: bootstrap pg_shseclabel in relcache initialization

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Adam Brightwell <adam(dot)brightwell(at)crunchydata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bootstrap pg_shseclabel in relcache initialization
Date: 2016-01-04 19:26:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Adam Brightwell wrote:

> While working on an auth hook, I found that I was unable to access the
> pg_shseclabel system table while processing the hook.
[ ... ]
> Given that the shared relations currently exposed can also have
> security labels that can be used for auth purposes, I believe it makes
> sense to make those available as well. I have attached a patch that
> adds this functionality for review/discussion. If this functionality
> makes sense I'll add it to the commitfest.

So this looks like a bugfix that we should backpatch, but on closer
inspection it turns out that we need the rowtype OID to be fixed, which
it isn't unless this:

> -CATALOG(pg_shseclabel,3592) BKI_SHARED_RELATION BKI_WITHOUT_OIDS
> +CATALOG(pg_shseclabel,3592) BKI_SHARED_RELATION BKI_ROWTYPE_OID(4066) BKI_WITHOUT_OIDS BKI_SCHEMA_MACRO

so I'm afraid this cannot be backpatched at all; if we did, the rowtype
wouldn't match for already-initdb'd installations.

I'm gonna push this to master only, which means you won't be able to
rely on pg_shseclabel until 9.6.