Re: [GENERAL] Prepared Statement Name Truncation

From: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Prepared Statement Name Truncation
Date: 2012-11-18 14:10:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Nov 18, 2012, at 2:24, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>>> If it's a postgres bug, what is the fix? Make the identifier max size
>>> longer?
>
>> I'd also be in favor of this, in addition to upgrading from a NOTICE.
>
> On the whole I'm not too excited about changing this.

Then I'd agree with the OP and think the notice should go away on usage in DML; though it should be kept for DDL.

Can the system be made smart enough to not allow intra-schema collisions in addition to same schema ones? That would seem to be the area of greatest concern - particularly around the usage of truncate/delete/drop.

Thought: would there be some way to flag a table like this to always require the use of a schema prefix to be accessed (since right now truncated names only have to be schema unique) in certain conditions (drop, delete, truncate)?

David J.