== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 25 2015 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 25 2015 ==
Date: 2015-10-26 04:53:00
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - October 25 2015 ==

Postgres Conference China 2015 will be on November 20-22, 2015 in
Beijing.
http://postgres2015.eventdove.com/ (Chinese)
http://postgrescluster2015.eventdove.com/ (English)

Brisbane PostgreSQL Users Group is pleased to announce their first
meeting; to be held 27th October, 2015 at 6:00pm Level 4, Fujitsu
Building, 1 Breakfast Creek Road, Brisbane, 4006, Queensland. RSVP
below.
http://www.meetup.com/Brisbane-PostgreSQL-User-Group/events/224709832/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

Ora2PG 16.0 a migration system for moving from Oracle and MySQL to
PostgreSQL, released.
http://ora2pg.darold.net/

PG Partition Manager 2.2.0 an extension to manage table
partitioning, released.
https://github.com/keithf4/pg_partman

pitrery 1.10, a set of bash scripts to manage PITR backups for
PostgreSQL, released.
http://dalibo.github.io/pitrery/

== PostgreSQL Jobs for October ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2015-10/

== PostgreSQL Local ==

PostgreSQL Conference Europe 2015 will be held on October 27-30 in the
Vienna Marriott Hotel, in Vienna, Austria. The schedule is posted.
http://2015.pgconf.eu/

Highload++2015 is November 2-3, 2015 in Moscow, Russia. Information in
Russian and English, respectively:
http://highload.ru/
http://highload.co

PGConf Silicon Valley 2015 is November 17-18 at the South San
Francisco Convention Center.
http://www.pgconfsv.com

PgCUBA will take place October 19-23, 2015 in Havana. Spanish
language information below:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/event/1813/

PGBR2015 (The Brazilian PostgreSQL Conference) will take place in Porto
Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, on November 18, 19 and 20. Registration is
open.
http://pgbr.postgresql.org.br/2015/en/

PGConf.DE will be held on November 26-27, 2015 in Hamburg, Germany, at
the Lindner Hotel am Michel.
http://2015.pgconf.de/

PostgreSQL(at)SCaLE is a two day, two track event which takes place on Jan.
21-22, 2016, at Pasadena Convention Center, as part of SCaLE 14X.
The CfP is open until Oct 30, 2015.
https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/14x/cfp

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot) Spanish language
to pwn(at)arpug(dot)com(dot)ar(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Fix incorrect handling of lookahead constraints in pg_regprefix().
pg_regprefix was doing nothing with lookahead constraints, which
would be fine if it were the right kind of nothing, but it isn't: we
have to terminate our search for a fixed prefix, not just pretend
the LACON arc isn't there. Otherwise, if the current state has both
a LACON outarc and a single plain-color outarc, we'd falsely
conclude that the color represents an addition to the fixed prefix,
and generate an extracted index condition that restricts the
indexscan too much. (See added regression test case.) Terminating
the search is conservative: we could traverse the LACON arc (thus
assuming that the constraint can be satisfied at runtime) and then
examine the outarcs of the linked-to state. But that would be a lot
more work than it seems worth, because writing a LACON followed by a
single plain character is a pretty silly thing to do. This makes a
difference only in rather contrived cases, but it's a bug, so
back-patch to all supported branches.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9f1e642d50b30ec5c9604b6095073012a9a73e93

- Fix incorrect translation of minus-infinity datetimes for
json/jsonb. Commit bda76c1c8cfb1d11751ba6be88f0242850481733 caused
both plus and minus infinity to be rendered as "infinity", which is
not only wrong but inconsistent with the pre-9.4 behavior of
to_json(). Fix that by duplicating the coding in
date_out/timestamp_out/timestamptz_out more closely. Per bug #13687
from Stepan Perlov. Back-patch to 9.4, like the previous commit.
In passing, also re-pgindent json.c, since it had gotten a bit
messed up by recent patches (and I was already annoyed by
indentation-related problems in back-patching this fix ...)
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d4355425831fe8f6a68095393e3628cb30d06b3f

- Remove redundant CREATEUSER/NOCREATEUSER options in CREATE ROLE et
al. Once upon a time we did not have a separate CREATEROLE
privilege, and CREATEUSER effectively meant SUPERUSER. When we
invented CREATEROLE (in 8.1) we also added SUPERUSER so as to have a
less confusing keyword for this role property. However, we left
CREATEUSER in place as a deprecated synonym for SUPERUSER, because
of backwards-compatibility concerns. It's still there and is still
confusing people, as for example in bug #13694 from Justin
Catterson. 9.6 will be ten years or so later, which surely ought to
be long enough to end the deprecation and just remove these old
keywords. Hence, do so.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d371bebd3d16949171282c8252dfd6f82d2e7378

Noah Misch pushed:

- Eschew "RESET statement_timeout" in tests. Instead, use transaction
abort. Given an unlucky bout of latency, the timeout would cancel
the RESET itself. Buildfarm members gharial, lapwing, mereswine,
shearwater, and sungazer witness that. Back-patch to 9.1 (all
supported versions). The query_canceled test still could timeout
before entering its subtransaction; for whatever reason, that has
yet to happen on the buildfarm.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8e3b4d9d40244c037bbc6e182ea3fabb9347d482

Robert Haas pushed:

- Remove obsolete comment. Peter Geoghegan
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d53f808e7eacca1036f9f6b5a271a6269949445d

- Be a bit more rigorous about how we cache strcoll and strxfrm
results. Commit 0e57b4d8bd9674adaf5747421b3255b85e385534 contained
some clever logic that attempted to make sure that we couldn't get
confused about whether the last thing we cached was a strcoll()
result or a strxfrm() result, but it wasn't quite clever enough,
because we can perform further abbreviations after having already
performed some comparisons. Introduce an explicit flag in the hopes
of making this watertight. Peter Geoghegan, reviewed by me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5be94a9eb15a03d8dbc4a5b52760c8776eb3525e

- Put back ssl_renegotiation_limit parameter, but only allow 0. Per a
report from Shay Rojansky, Npgsql sends ssl_renegotiation_limit=0 in
the startup packet because it does not support renegotiation; other
clients which have not attempted to support renegotiation might well
behave similarly. The recent removal of this parameter forces them
to break compatibility with either current PostgreSQL versions, or
previous ones. Per discussion, the best solution is to accept the
parameter but only allow a value of 0. Shay Rojansky, edited a
little by me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/84ef9c596e0ef7476cd995349767204022610466

- Remove duplicate word. Amit Langote
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dc486fb96968a519cc6e0d90654b46738026ee5c

- Fix incorrect comment in plannodes.h Etsuro Fujita
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a1c466c5dd75002eb482b10fd0cafef7c6e3f697

- Add header comments to execParallel.c and nodeGather.c. Patch by
me, per a note from Simon Riggs. Reviewed by Amit Kapila and Amit
Langote.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1a219fa15bf802d69621e71c43d1a09515bcdc50

- Fix a couple of bugs in recent parallelism-related commits. Commit
816e336f12ecabdc834d4cc31bcf966b2dd323dc added the wrong error check
to async.c; sending restrictions is restricted to the leader, not
altogether unsafe. Commit 3bd909b220930f21d6e15833a17947be749e7fde
added ExecShutdownNode to traverse the planstate tree and call
shutdown functions, but made a Gather node, the only node that
actually has such a function, abort the tree traversal, which is
wrong.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bde39eed0cafb82bc94c40e95d96b5cf47b6f719

- Fix typos in comments. CharSyam
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/31ba62ce32940146b6c818e9bf30b2555797c43d

- shm_mq: Fix failure to notice a dead counterparty when nowait is
used. The shm_mq mechanism was intended to optionally notice when
the process on the other end of the queue fails to attach to the
queue. It does this by allowing the user to pass a
BackgroundWorkerHandle; if the background worker in question is
launched and dies without attaching to the queue, then we know it
never will. This logic works OK in blocking mode, but when called
with nowait = true we fail to notice that this has happened due to
an asymmetry in the logic. Repair. Reported off-list by Rushabh
Lathia. Patch by me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b2ccb5f4e6c81305386edb34daf7d1d1e1ee112a

- Add two missing cases to ATWrongRelkindError. This way, we produce
a better error message if someone tries to do something like ALTER
INDEX .. ALTER COLUMN .. SET STORAGE. Amit Langote
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/872101bede26444324059ba0f27c3b1c8b8140f6

- shm_mq: Repair breakage from previous commit. If the counterparty
writes some data into the queue and then detaches, it's wrong to
return SHM_MQ_DETACHED right away. If we do that, we fail to read
whatever was written.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a1480ec1d3bacb9acb08ec09f22bc25bc033115b

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- doc: Move documentation of max_wal_size to better position
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/984ae04a2c35e4cd0066ef2e2fb364299ff51c36

- doc: Improve markup and fine-tune replication protocol documentation
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e4a618aa1ec420f40198e89ef1afd7a4e8cfcecf

- doc: Add advice on updating checkpoint_segments to max_wal_size with
suggestion from Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8f2977b3ec2fbb98ee36045d4e2be81ca4c293e0

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

Thomas Munro sent in three more revisions of a patch to macro-ize
psql's tab-complete.c.

YUriy Zhuravlev sent in a patch to allow leaving the ends off an array
slice, so foo[2:] would mean the slice of the 1-D foo array going from
index 2 to the end.

Craig Ringer sent in another revision of a patch to send replication
origin on commit in logical replication.

SAWADA Masahiko sent in a patch to support multi sync replication.

Etsuro Fujita sent in another revision of a patch to fix some
infelicities between foreign join pushdown and EvalPlanQual.

Michael Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to ensure that
overflow checks not be optimized away.

Alexander Korotkov sent in another revision of a patch to implement
partial sorting.

Laurenz Albe sent in a patch to move documentation for min_wal_size
before max_wal_size.

Álvaro Herrera sent in another revision of a patch to add a variable
to shmem which is used for module activation tracking.

Haribabu Kommi sent in another revision of a patch to implement
multi-tenancy with RLS.

Rahila Syed sent in another revision of a patch to implement a VACUUM
progress checker.

Rajeev Rastogi and Robert Haas traded patches to fix an issue which
caused dangling backend processes.

SAWADA Masahiko sent in two more revisions of a patch to add a
"frozen" bit to the visibility map.

Amit Kapila sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement
parallel sequential scans.

Taiki Kondo sent in another revision of a patch to consider table
partitions when doing join pushdown.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira sent in a patch to fix a duplicate
assignment in walsender code.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira sent in a patch to fix some errors in
pg_recvlogical.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in another revision of a patch to implement
getting sorted data from a foreign server.

Jeff Janes sent in another revision of a patch to make COPY FREEZE and
PD_ALL_VISIBLE work together.

Victor Wagner sent in another revision of a patch to implement
failover on the libpq connect level.

Dinesh Kumar sent in another revision of a patch to add a
pg_report_log() function callable from SQL.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to strengthen planner infrastructure for
parallelism.

Robert Haas sent in a patch to fix problems with ParamListInfo
serialization mechanism.

Robert Haas sent in a patch set to modify the tqueue infrastructure to
support transient record types, and using same, make Gather node
projection-capable.

Michael Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to add = and <>
operators for xid vs. int.

Jeff Janes sent in a patch to fix psql wrapped format expanded output.

Sandro Santilli sent in another revision of a patch to add an
extensions_path GUC.

Etsuro Fujita and Amit Langote each sent in patches to add an Oxford
comma to the same error message.

Ian Lawrence Barwick sent in another revision of a patch to improve
BRIN documentation for inclusion opclass.