Re: BUG #13702: pg_dump interprets “=” in a db name incorrectly

From: David Gould <daveg(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: Felipe Gasper <felipe(at)felipegasper(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #13702: pg_dump interprets “=” in a db name incorrectly
Date: 2015-10-23 12:45:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 20:30:20 -0500
Felipe Gasper <felipe(at)felipegasper(dot)com> wrote:

> Interesting -- also, in 9.0 I *can* do:
>
> dbname='...'
>
> … and it works. Undocumented, apparently (?), but it does the job.
>
> But, I actually have to support all the way back to 8.1, and I’m a bit
> leery of relying on undocumented (?) features for our backup
> functionality. Hopefully down the road we can just move everything to
> >=9.3, and peace and love will reign. :)

You can dump and load older version database from newer version clients.
The dbname parsing problem you are having is on the client, not the server,
so if you can arrange to take the backup with a more current client then
one of the suggestions in this thread will work for you.

-dg

--
David Gould daveg(at)sonic(dot)net