Re: Calculage avg. width when operator = is missing

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Calculage avg. width when operator = is missing
Date: 2015-09-22 21:56:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Should we consider this HEAD-only, or a back-patchable bug fix?
> Or perhaps compromise on HEAD + 9.5?

It looks like a bug to me, but I think it might destabilize approved
execution plans(*), so it may not be such a great idea to back patch
branches that are already released. I think HEAD + 9.5 is good.

(*) I hear there are even applications where queries and their approved
execution plans are kept in a manifest, and plans that deviate from that
raise all kinds of alarms. I have never seen such a thing ...