Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level.

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date: 2015-09-03 17:11:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> Shulgin, Oleksandr wrote:
>
> > > Alternatively, change the rules for parsing the existing host=X
> > > parameter so that we split it on some separator that isn't a valid
> > > hostname character, and then strip off an optional :port syntax from
> > > each entry; that value, if present, overrides port=X for that entry.
> >
> > It's tempting to use ':' as the separator here, but it's still valid for
> > directory names and host can be one in case of UN*X sockets.
>
> I think that's rare enough that we could just say that if you want to
> have a : in a directory name used for local connections, you have to
> escape the : character. This is going to be pretty easy to detect as a
> problem because of the obvious error message ("cannot parse "pg" in
> /usr/sockets:pg as a port number"), except in the even rarer case that
> the only stuff after the colon is digits.

If we really want to worry about this, we could simply check if the
directory exists with the ':5433' or whatever at the end and, if it
does, use whatever the port specification is. If that directory doesn't
exist, and one without the ':5433' does, then we try that directory and
that port.

Personally, I agree with Alvaro that it's really just overkill to worry
about though.

Thanks!

Stephen