Re: What does RIR as in fireRIRrules stand for?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What does RIR as in fireRIRrules stand for?
Date: 2015-08-28 14:16:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-08-27 11:12:42 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com> writes:
> > Candidate for Appendix K?
>
> Meh ... it's not a user-visible notation, in fact it only appears in
> rewriteHandler.c AFAICS.

Agreed, I don't think we want to distribute that term any wider than
that file.

> I think an explanation in fireRIRrules' header comment would be fine.

I was thinking of adding it to the file's header like
* NOTES
* Some of the terms used in this file are of historic nature: "retrieve"
* was the PostQUEL keyword for what today is SELECT. "RIR" stands for
* "Retrieve-Instead-Retrieve", that is an ON SELECT INSTEAD rule (which
* has to be unconditional and where only one rule can exist on each
* relation).

since both retrieve and RIR are used in a bunch of places.

Andres