Re: Checkpoints vs restartpoints

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checkpoints vs restartpoints
Date: 2015-06-10 08:12:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2015-06-10 11:20:19 +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I was wondering about this in the context of the recent multixact
> work, since such configurations could leave you with different SLRU
> files on disk which in some versions might change the behaviour in
> interesting ways.

Note that trigger a restartpoint everytime a checkpoint is replayed
wouldn't realistically fix this. Restartpoints are performed in the
background (the checkpointer), not in the startup process itself. Not
doing that would be prohibitive performance wise, because each
checkpoint would stop replication progress for seconds to tens of
minutes.

- Andres