Re: point_ops for GiST

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: point_ops for GiST
Date: 2015-05-12 18:13:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> 2009/12/30 Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>:
> > Sync with current CVS
>
> I have reviewed this patch and it looks good to me. The only
> substantive question I have is why gist_point_consistent() uses a
> different coding pattern for the box case than it does for the polygon
> and circle cases? It's not obvious to me on the face of it why these
> aren't consistent.

Emre Hasegeli just pointed out to me that this patch introduced
box_contain_pt() and in doing so used straight C comparison (<= etc)
instead of FPlt() and friends. I would think that that's a bug and
needs to be changed -- but certainly not backpatched, because gist
indexes would/might become corrupt.

This is in the context of his inclusion opclass for BRIN
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAE2gYzwBZQ=z02ZiOefNhrXOf+1VegQC_cWPVJ8LwNqGX1--Ww@mail.gmail.com