"Bugs" CF?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "Bugs" CF?
Date: 2015-05-07 13:44:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

Starting a new thread, as suggested by Magnus.

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > > We really need to segregate the two.. By that what I mean is this: I
> > > want an "always-open" "bugfix" CF, which allows us to keep track of
> > > bugfix patches. Having something about "applies to versions X, Y, Z"
> > > would be nice too...
> > >
> > > /me prods Magnus
> >
> > I don't really see that as a step forward. Right now there's one
> > place to look at for patches that somebody wants me (or someone) to
> > pay attention to, and, when time permits, I look at it. Dividing that
> > up into two places is not going to make me look at them more
> > frequently.

I agree that there's value in having fewer places to check for patches
to review, but bug-fixing patches are materially different from feature
patches and having them all lumped together into a CF that might not
start for another month or longer isn't good.

We have a 'Bug Fixes' category already.. Perhaps we could have a
'virtual' CF which goes across all the currently active CFs and pulls
together just the patches marked as 'Bug Fixes'. What I don't like
about that approach is that we'll continue to get the question of
"which CF should I submit this bug fix for?" If we go the other
direction of having a 'Bug Fixes' CF that always exists then we could
pull anything active from that CF into the view for all open CFs, or
perhaps just the current/next CF, and then it's clear where to submit
bug fix patches and we still have a single view of everything which is
'currently active'.

This is clearly just brainstorming, so let me outline the goal of the
discussion, at least as I see it:

a) make sure we don't lose track of bug-fix patches
b) make it clear where bug-fix patches should be submitted
c) provide a view of bug-fix patches for people to look at outside of
CF time
d) continue to have a single view which includes all active patches
with bug fixes listed first

Perhaps not all of those goals are worthwhile, in which case we should
work towards agreement on them prior to talking about implementation
(clearly, I've managed to craft this email entirely backwards; ah well).

> Thanks for highlighting that somebody was actually trying to get my
> attention in that thread. I missed it :)

Sorry. :)

> Which brings the point - this should be discussed in a separate thread,
> really. It's not part of feature freeze or beta schedule... It's more about
> process...

Done.

Thanks!

Stephen