Re: ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF
Date: 2015-04-30 19:09:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I take that back, it appears this table is heavily deleted from and also
> uses the lo_manage() triggers.

Well, if it's heavily deleted, then it's probably also heavily vacuumed
and from time to time empty pages at the tail are removed by vacuum. It
might also be the case I was remembering, rather than regular TRUNCATE.

I don't think the vacuumlo stuff would have much to do with it issue; I
think it would only scan the table, then delete stuff from
pg_largeobject. It doesn't modify the table itself (unless I'm
misremembering)

Anyway, I don't remember that we reached any useful conclusion. Andres
suspected a PG bug, but we didn't find anything.