Re: inherit support for foreign tables

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com, fujita(dot)etsuro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com, noah(at)leadboat(dot)com, shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inherit support for foreign tables
Date: 2015-04-16 21:43:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 09:35:05AM +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before suppressing the symptom, I doubt the necessity and/or
> validity of giving foreign tables an ability to be a parent. Is
> there any reasonable usage for the ability?
>
> I think we should choose to inhibit foreign tables from becoming
> a parent rather than leaving it allowed then taking measures for
> the consequent symptom.

I have a use case for having foreign tables as non-leaf nodes in a
partitioning hierarchy, namely geographic. One might have a table at
HQ called foo_world, then partitions under it called foo_jp, foo_us,
etc., in one level, foo_us_ca, foo_us_pa, etc. in the next level, and
on down, each in general in a separate data center.

Is there something essential about having non-leaf nodes as foreign
tables that's a problem here?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!