Re: MD5 authentication needs help

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MD5 authentication needs help
Date: 2015-03-05 20:17:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Jim Nasby (Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com) wrote:
> On 3/4/15 2:56 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >>2) The per-session salt sent to the client is only 32-bits, meaning
> >Yes, and we have no (PG-based) mechanism to prevent those connection
> >attempts, which is a pretty horrible situation to be in.
>
> Is there some reason we don't just fix that? I'm thinking that this
> is a special case where we could just modify the pg_auth tuple
> in-place without bloating the catalog (we already do that somewhere
> else). Is there something else that makes this difficult? Are we
> afraid of an extra GUC to control it?

I'm all for it, though I would ask that we provide a way for superusers
to delegate the ability to reset locked accounts to non-superusers.

I'd want to think about it a bit more before settling on using pg_authid
to track the data. In any case, I do think we need a way to disable
this ability for certain roles and, furtherr, that we not track failed
logins in cases where it's disabled (which might well be the default- I
don't think we want to add this overhead for systems which have lots of
recurring logins (think application users where they aren't doing
pooling).

Thanks!

Stephen