== PostgreSQL Weekly News - February 22 2015 ==

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: == PostgreSQL Weekly News - February 22 2015 ==
Date: 2015-02-22 23:48:20
Lists: pgsql-announce

== PostgreSQL Weekly News - February 22 2015 ==

India PostgreSQL UserGroup will hold a PGday in Bengaluru, Karnataka,
India on April 11, 2015. RSVP at
http://www.meetup.com/India-PUG/events/220553997/

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

pypgTAP, a framework intended to improve the SDLC for PostgreSQL,
released.
https://github.com/itissid/pypgTAP

PostgreSQL Dashboard 0.2, a real-time monitoring screen based on
Dashing and Sinatra, released.
http://daamien.github.io/PostgreSQL-Dashboard/

ODB 2.4.0, an ORM for C++ which supports PostgreSQL, released.
http://www.codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog/2015/02/11/odb-2-4-0-released/

pgpool-II versions 3.4.1, 3.3.5, 3.2.10, 3.1.13, and 3.0.17 released
with pgpoolAdmin 3.4.1.
pgpool-II is a connection pooler and replication system for PostgreSQL.
http://pgpool.net/mediawiki/index.php/Downloads
http://pgpool.net/mediawiki/index.php/Yum_Repository
psycopg2 2.6 and 2.5.5 Python connector for PostgreSQL, released.
http://initd.org/psycopg/articles/2015/02/09/psycopg-26-and-255-released/

== PostgreSQL Jobs for February ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2015-02/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

pgDaySF 2015 will be held March 10, 2015 in Burlingame, California.
http://sfpostgres.org/pgday-sf-2015-call-for-speakers-and-sponsors/

Registration for Nordic PostgreSQL Day, March 11, 2015 in Copenhagen,
Denmark, is open.
http://2015.nordicpgday.org/registration/

PGConf US 2015 takes place March 25-27, 2015 in NYC.
http://nyc.pgconf.us/2015/

PGCon 2015 is June 16-20 in Ottawa, Canada.
http://www.pgcon.org/2015/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david(at)fetter(dot)org, German language
to pwn(at)pgug(dot)de, Italian language to pwn(at)itpug(dot)org(dot) Spanish language
to pwn(at)arpug(dot)com(dot)ar(dot)

== Applied Patches ==

Tom Lane pushed:

- Fix null-pointer-deref crash while doing COPY IN with check
constraints. In commit bf7ca15875988a88e97302e012d7c4808bef3ea9 I
introduced an assumption that an RTE referenced by a whole-row Var
must have a valid eref field. This is false for RTEs constructed by
DoCopy, and there are other places taking similar shortcuts.
Perhaps we should make all those places go through
addRangeTableEntryForRelation or its siblings instead of having
ad-hoc logic, but the most reliable fix seems to be to make the new
code in ExecEvalWholeRowVar cope if there's no eref. We can
reasonably assume that there's no need to insert column aliases if
no aliases were provided. Add a regression test case covering this,
and also verifying that a sane column name is in fact available in
this situation. Although the known case only crashes in 9.4 and
HEAD, it seems prudent to back-patch the code change to 9.2, since
all the ingredients for a similar failure exist in the variant patch
applied to 9.3 and 9.2. Per report from Jean-Pierre Pelletier.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/08361cea2b333189fa3736f2dc6452cef654923d

- Rationalize the APIs of array element/slice access functions. The
four functions array_ref, array_set, array_get_slice,
array_set_slice have traditionally declared their array inputs and
results as being of type "ArrayType *". This is a lie, and has been
since Berkeley days, because they actually also support
"fixed-length array" types such as "name" and "point"; not to
mention that the inputs could be toasted. These values should be
declared Datum instead to avoid confusion. The current coding
already risks possible misoptimization by compilers, and it'll get
worse when "expanded" array representations become a valid
alternative. However, there's a fair amount of code using array_ref
and array_set with arrays that *are* known to be ArrayType
structures, and there might be more such places in third-party code.
Rather than cluttering those call sites with
PointerGetDatum/DatumGetArrayTypeP cruft, what I did was to rename
the existing functions to array_get_element/array_set_element, fix
their signatures, then reincarnate array_ref/array_set as backwards
compatibility wrappers. array_get_slice/array_set_slice have no
such constituency in the core code, and probably not in third-party
code either, so I just changed their APIs.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e983c4d1aa42d613542cf222e222b034918374b1

- Use fast path in plpgsql's RETURN/RETURN NEXT in more cases.
exec_stmt_return() and exec_stmt_return_next() have fast-path code
for handling a simple variable reference (i.e. "return var") without
going through the full expression evaluation machinery. For some
reason, pl_gram.y was under the impression that this fast path only
applied for record/row variables; but in reality code for handling
regular scalar variables has been there all along. Adjusting the
logic to allow that code to be used actually results in a net
savings of code in pl_gram.y (by eliminating some redundancy), and
it buys a measurable though not very impressive amount of speedup.
Noted while fooling with my expanded-array patch, wherein this makes
a much bigger difference because it enables returning an expanded
array variable without an extra flattening step. But AFAICS this is
a win regardless, so commit it separately.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9e3ad1aac52454569393a947c06be0d301749362

- Fix misuse of memcpy() in check_ip(). The previous coding copied
garbage into a local variable, pretty much ensuring that the
intended test of an IPv6 connection address against a promoted IPv4
address from pg_hba.conf would never match. The lack of field
complaints likely indicates that nobody realized this was supposed
to work, which is unsurprising considering that no user-facing docs
suggest it should work. In principle this could have led to a
SIGSEGV due to reading off the end of memory, but since the source
address would have pointed to somewhere in the function's stack
frame, that's quite unlikely. What led to discovery of the bug is
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera's report of a crash after an OS upgrade, which
is probably because he is now running a system in which memcpy
raises abort() upon detecting overlapping source and destination
areas. (You'd have to additionally suppose some things about the
stack frame layout to arrive at this conclusion, but it seems
plausible.) This has been broken since the code was added, in commit
f3aec2c7f51904e7, so back-patch to all supported branches.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cb66f495f5d0c204f051971f2c549d5c3ac850ea

- Remove code to match IPv4 pg_hba.conf entries to IPv4-in-IPv6
addresses. In investigating yesterday's crash report from Hugo
Osvaldo Barrera, I only looked back as far as commit
f3aec2c7f51904e7 where the breakage occurred (which is why I thought
the IPv4-in-IPv6 business was undocumented). But actually the logic
dates back to commit 3c9bb8886df7d56a and was simply broken by
erroneous refactoring in the later commit. A bit of archives
excavation shows that we added the whole business in response to a
report that some 2003-era Linux kernels would report IPv4
connections as having IPv4-in-IPv6 addresses. The fact that we've
had no complaints since 9.0 seems to be sufficient confirmation that
no modern kernels do that, so let's just rip it all out rather than
trying to fix it. Do this in the back branches too, thus
essentially deciding that our effective behavior since 9.0 is
correct. If there are any platforms on which the kernel reports
IPv4-in-IPv6 addresses as such, yesterday's fix would have made for
a subtle and potentially security-sensitive change in the effective
meaning of IPv4 pg_hba.conf entries, which does not seem like a good
thing to do in minor releases. So let's let the post-9.0 behavior
stand, and change the documentation to match it. In passing, I
failed to resist the temptation to wordsmith the description of
pg_hba.conf IPv4 and IPv6 address entries a bit. A lot of this text
hasn't been touched since we were IPv4-only.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2e105def09f27d49c1761abab06b427cfaa5d304

- Fix EXPLAIN output for cases where parent table is excluded by
constraints. The previous coding in EXPLAIN always labeled a
ModifyTable node with the name of the target table affected by its
first child plan. When originally written, this was necessarily the
parent table of the inheritance tree, so everything was unconfusing.
But when we added NO INHERIT constraints, it became possible for the
parent table to be deleted from the plan by constraint exclusion
while still leaving child tables present. This led to the
ModifyTable plan node being labeled with the first surviving child,
which was deemed confusing. Fix it by retaining the parent table's
RT index in a new field in ModifyTable. Etsuro Fujita, reviewed by
Ashutosh Bapat and myself
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/abe45a9b315d7b3739f442597f570f9454bd466d

- Fix failure to honor -Z compression level option in pg_dump -Fd.
cfopen() and cfopen_write() failed to pass the compression level
through to zlib, so that you always got the default compression
level if you got any at all. In passing, also fix these and related
functions so that the correct errno is reliably returned on failure;
the original coding supposes that free() cannot change errno, which
is untrue on at least some platforms. Per bug #12779 from Christoph
Berg. Back-patch to 9.1 where the faulty code was introduced.
Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0e7e355f27302b62af3e1add93853ccd45678443

- Fix placement of "SET row_security" command issuance in pg_dump.
Somebody apparently threw darts at the code to decide where to
insert these. They certainly didn't proceed by adding them where
other similar SETs were handled. This at least broke pg_restore,
and perhaps other use-cases too.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/297b2c1ef9878f84a9951beadf831ef390227238

- Split array_push into separate array_append and array_prepend
functions. There wasn't any good reason for a single C function to
implement both these SQL functions: it saved very little code
overall, and it required significant pushups to re-determine at
runtime which case applied. Redoing it as two functions ends up
with just slightly more lines of code, but it's simpler to
understand, and faster too because we need not repeat syscache
lookups on every call. An important side benefit is that this
eliminates the only case in which different aliases of the same C
function had both anyarray and anyelement arguments at the same
position, which would almost always be a mistake. The opr_sanity
regression test will now notice such mistakes since there's no
longer a valid case where it happens.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/56a79a869bedc4bf6c35853642694cc0b0594dd2

- Update assorted TOAST-related documentation. While working on
documentation for expanded arrays, I noticed a number of details in
the TOAST-related documentation that were already inaccurate or
obsolete. This should be fixed independently of whether expanded
arrays get in or not. One issue is that the already existing
indirect-pointer facility was not documented at all. Also, the
documentation says that you only need to use VARSIZE/SET_VARSIZE if
you've made your variable-length type TOAST-aware, but actually
we've forced that business on all varlena types even if they've
opted out of TOAST by setting storage = plain. Wordsmith a few
other things too, like an amusingly archaic claim that there are few
64-bit machines. I thought about back-patching this, but since all
this doco is oriented to hackers and C-coded extension authors,
fixing it in HEAD is probably good enough.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9bb955c8286c20474b5462eea3e3cf76c694d88f

- Add pg_stat_get_snapshot_timestamp() to show statistics snapshot
timestamp. Per discussion, this could be useful for purposes such
as programmatically detecting a nonresponding stats collector. We
already have the timestamp anyway, it's just a matter of providing a
SQL-accessible function to fetch it. Matt Kelly, reviewed by Jim
Nasby
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2fb7a75f37d0beca80f45e15736ec8d50064228a

- Use "#ifdef CATALOG_VARLEN" to protect nullable fields of pg_authid.
This gives a stronger guarantee than a mere comment against
accessing these fields as simple struct members. Since rolpassword
is in fact varlena, it's not clear why these didn't get marked from
the beginning, but let's do it now. Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/692bd09ad12a27fda3566787b089fbd394d7b65b

- Remove unused variable. Per buildfarm.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9aa53bbd15ef65a4be6c09709fbe985898ae9ad7

- Some more FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER hacking.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5740be6d6e39dd85587aa71b3bd1fb0a423858b0

- Use FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER in struct varlena. This forces some minor
coding adjustments in tuptoaster.c and inv_api.c, but the new coding
there is cleaner anyway. Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e38b1eb0986990d539e056a65c6b122b295ce932

- Use FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER in struct RecordIOData. I (tgl) fixed
this last night in rowtypes.c, but I missed that the code had been
copied into a couple of other places. Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c110eff1324f5c882c737ad988191ed4a54c4936

- Use FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER in some more places. Fix a batch of
structs that are only visible within individual .c files. Michael
Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/33a3b03d636b529b27f869e332b6344d52635331

- Fix statically allocated struct with FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER member.
clang complains about this, not unreasonably, so define another
struct that's explicitly for a WordEntryPos with exactly one
element. While at it, get rid of pretty dubious use of a static
variable for more than one purpose --- if it were being treated as
const maybe I'd be okay with this, but it isn't.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/33b2a2c97f3dd4cf8bbc2c020e34129886367b72

- Some more FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER fixes.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f2874feb7c4e71200539c0287544eeebd8fcb3d4

- Use FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER in a bunch more places. Replace some
bogus "x[1]" declarations with "x[FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER]". Aside
from being more self-documenting, this should help prevent bogus
warnings from static code analyzers and perhaps compiler
misoptimizations. This patch is just a down payment on eliminating
the whole problem, but it gets rid of a lot of easy-to-fix cases.
Note that the main problem with doing this is that one must no
longer rely on computing sizeof(the containing struct), since the
result would be compiler-dependent. Instead use offsetof(struct,
lastfield). Autoconf also warns against spelling that
offsetof(struct, lastfield[0]). Michael Paquier, review and
additional fixes by me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/09d8d110a604e52216102e73fb8475b7aa88f1d1

- Fix misparsing of empty value in conninfo_uri_parse_params(). After
finding an "=" character, the pointer was advanced twice when it
should only advance once. This is harmless as long as the value
after "=" has at least one character; but if it doesn't, we'd miss
the terminator character and include too much in the value. In
principle this could lead to reading off the end of memory. It does
not seem worth treating as a security issue though, because it would
happen on client side, and besides client logic that's taking
conninfo strings from untrusted sources has much worse security
problems than this. Report and patch received off-list from Thomas
Fanghaenel. Back-patch to 9.2 where the faulty code was introduced.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b26e2081423cf1c70f83a11787351017c97cfd7c

- Minor code beautification in conninfo_uri_parse_params(). Reading
this made me itch, so clean the logic a bit.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3d9b6f31eec150b5a6000e0814e81e36d9eb069a

- Use FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER for HeapTupleHeaderData.t_bits[]. This
requires changing quite a few places that were depending on
sizeof(HeapTupleHeaderData), but it seems for the best. Michael
Paquier, some adjustments by me
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e1a11d93111ff3fba7a91f3f2ac0b0aca16909a8

- Use FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER in a number of other places. I think
we're about done with this...
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2e211211a76782b6084194a5ced94c0795460047

- Don't need to explain [1] kluge anymore in xfunc.sgml.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0627eff3602c0ce0e8358d48ddb3ffa73963e4d0

- Use FLEXIBLE_ARRAY_MEMBER in Windows-specific code. Be a tad more
paranoid about overlength input, too.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/332f02f88beead6365bc2126c95451520bbfe163

- Try to fix busted gettimeofday() code. Per buildfarm, we have to
match the _stdcall property of the system functions.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e9fd5545de3bb4efe163af4a9c957badac86ccd7

- Represent BETWEEN as a special node type in raw parse trees.
Previously, gram.y itself converted BETWEEN into AND (or AND/OR)
nests of expression comparisons. This was always as bogus as could
be, but fixing it hasn't risen to the top of the to-do list. The
present patch invents an A_Expr representation for BETWEEN
expressions, and does the expansion to comparison trees in
parse_expr.c which is at least a slightly saner place to be doing
semantic conversions. There should be no change in the post-
parse-analysis results. This does nothing for the semantic issues
with BETWEEN (dubious connection to btree-opclass semantics, and
multiple evaluation of possibly volatile subexpressions) ... but
it's a necessary preliminary step before we could fix any of that.
The main immediate benefit is that preserving BETWEEN as an
identifiable raw-parse-tree construct will enable better error
messages. While at it, fix the code so that multiply-referenced
subexpressions are physically duplicated before being passed through
transformExpr(). This gets rid of one of the principal reasons why
transformExpr() has historically had to allow already-processed
input.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/34af082f95aa6adb8af5fbd4da46bd4c3c176856

- Get rid of multiple applications of transformExpr() to the same
tree. transformExpr() has for many years had provisions to do
nothing when applied to an already-transformed expression tree.
However, this was always ugly and of dubious reliability, so we'd be
much better off without it. The primary historical reason for it
was that gram.y sometimes returned multiple links to the same
subexpression, which is no longer true as of my BETWEEN fixes. We'd
also grown some lazy hacks in CREATE TABLE LIKE (failing to
distinguish between raw and already-transformed index
specifications) and one or two other places. This patch removes the
need for and support for re-transforming already transformed
expressions. The index case is dealt with by adding a flag to
struct IndexStmt to indicate that it's already been transformed;
which has some benefit anyway in that tablecmds.c can now Assert
that transformation has happened rather than just assuming. The
other main reason was some rather sloppy code for array type
coercion, which can be fixed (and its performance improved too) by
refactoring. I did leave transformJoinUsingClause() still
constructing expressions containing untransformed operator nodes
being applied to Vars, so that transformExpr() still has to allow
Var inputs. But that's a much narrower, and safer, special case
than before, since Vars will never appear in a raw parse tree, and
they don't have any substructure to worry about. In passing fix
some oversights in the patch that added CREATE INDEX IF NOT EXISTS
(missing processing of IndexStmt.if_not_exists). These appear
relatively harmless, but still sloppy coding practice.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6a75562ed16b5fa52cfd8830e4546972e647db26

- Add parse location fields to NullTest and BooleanTest structs. We
did not need a location tag on NullTest or BooleanTest before,
because no error messages referred directly to their locations.
That's planned to change though, so add these fields in a separate
housekeeping commit. Catversion bump because stored rules may
change.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c063da1769229efa8d8d21f0d068b3199ea3a6b3

Fujii Masao pushed:

- Correct the path of pg_lzcompress.c in doc. Commit 40bede5 moved
pg_lzcompress.c to src/common, but forgot to update its path in doc.
This commit fixes that oversight.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/cef30974dec2c052170b80eff1fe4b9bb285e903

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- In the SSL test suite, use a root CA cert that won't expire (so
quickly). All the other certificates were created to be valid for
10000 days, because we don't want to have to recreate them. But I
missed the root CA cert, and the pre-created certificates included
in the repository expired in January. Fix, and re-create all the
certificates.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2c75531a6cc49a56afbd5619c36b3daccbe243fa

- Restore the SSL_set_session_id_context() call to OpenSSL
renegotiation. This reverts the removal of the call in commit
(272923a0). It turns out it wasn't superfluous after all: without
it, renegotiation fails if a client certificate was used. The rest
of the changes in that commit are still OK and not reverted. Per
investigation of bug #12769 by Arne Scheffer, although this doesn't
fix the reported bug yet.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1c2b7c0879d83ff79e4adf2c0a883df92b713da4

- Fix comment in libpq OpenSSL code about why a substitue BIO is used.
The comment was copy-pasted from the backend code along with the
implementation, but libpq has different reasons for using the BIO.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c478959a009a926ec441f355219eae18537e648c

- Fix knn-GiST queue comparison function to return heap tuples first.
The part of the comparison function that was supposed to keep heap
tuples ahead of index items was backwards. It would not lead to
incorrect results, but it is more efficient to return heap tuples
first, before scanning more index pages, when both have the same
distance. Alexander Korotkov
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d17b6df239e6eebf288969e931cdbe8076d1fe12

- Fix a bug in pairing heap removal code. After removal, the
next_sibling pointer of a node was sometimes incorrectly left to
point to another node in the heap, which meant that a node was
sometimes linked twice into the heap. Surprisingly that didn't cause
any crashes in my testing, but it was clearly wrong and could easily
segfault in other scenarios. Also always keep the prev_or_parent
pointer as NULL on the root node. That was not a correctness issue
AFAICS, but let's be tidy. Add a debugging function, to dump the
contents of a pairing heap as a string. It's #ifdef'd out, as it's
not used for anything in any normal code, but it was highly useful
in debugging this. Let's keep it handy for further reference.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/931bf3eb9b203ca02d729f5122a44cc250c27695

- Remove dead structs. These are not used with the new WAL format
anymore. GIN split records are simply always recorded as full-page
images. Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/634618ecd039cf99fb8212b0314ef8a3754ca9c2

Kevin Grittner pushed:

- Eliminate unnecessary NULL checks in picksplit method of intarray.
Where these checks were being done there was no code path which
could leave them NULL. Michael Paquier per Coverity
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c923e82a231ebfe7c4329984c68819e26837bee6

Robert Haas pushed:

- Improve pg_check_dir code and comments. Avoid losing errno if
readdir() fails and closedir() works. Consistently return 4 rather
than 3 if both a lost+found directory and other files are found,
rather than returning one value or the other depending on the order
of the directory listing. Update comments to match the actual
behavior. These oversights date to commits
6f03927fce038096f53ca67eeab9adb24938f8a6 and
17f15239325a88581bb4f9cf91d38005f1f52d69. Marco Nenciarini
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5d6c2405f4bae6c87533d981d6a47587db501220

- Don't require users of src/port/gettimeofday.c to initialize it.
Commit 8001fe67a3d66c95861ce1f7075ef03953670d13 introduced this
requirement, but per discussion, we want to avoid requirements of
this type to make things easier on the calling code. An especially
important consideration is that this may be used in frontend code,
not just the backend. Asif Naeem, reviewed by Michael Paquier
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/64235fecc6d377690444ca3702257b5e39ed3413

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Fix object identities for pg_conversion objects. We were neglecting
to schema-qualify them. Backpatch to 9.3, where object identities
were introduced as a concept by commit f8348ea32ec8.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0d906798f680b2dd86cbc8d31ba64685aeb12092

- Fix opclass/opfamily identity strings. The original representation
uses "opcname for amname", which is good enough; but if we replace
"for" with "using", we can apply the returned identity directly in a
DROP command, as in DROP OPERATOR CLASS opcname USING amname This
slightly simplifies code using object identities to programatically
execute commands on these kinds of objects. Note
backwards-incompatible change: The previous representation dates
back to 9.3 when object identities were introduced by commit
f8348ea3, but we don't want to change the behavior on released
branches unnecessarily and so this is not backpatched.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9c7dd350199fa030ccbd5538e1b8e13a9603fda4

- Update PGSTAT_FILE_FORMAT_ID. Previous commit should have bumped it
but didn't. Oops. Per note from Tom Lane.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3b14bb77716a01915da4833194e7c8c1c51da66d

- Have TRUNCATE update pgstat tuple counters. This works by keeping a
per-subtransaction record of the ins/upd/del counters before the
truncate, and then resetting them; this record is useful to return
to the previous state in case the truncate is rolled back, either in
a subtransaction or whole transaction. The state is propagated
upwards as subtransactions commit. When the per-table data is sent
to the stats collector, a flag indicates to reset the live/dead
counters to zero as well. Catalog version bumped due to the change
in pgstat format. Author: Alexander Shulgin Discussion:
1007(dot)1207238291(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us Discussion:
548F7D38(dot)2000401(at)BlueTreble(dot)com Reviewed-by: Álvaro Herrera, Jim
Nasby
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d42358efb16cc81122c53ffb35ac381b9158e519

- Remove unnecessary and unreliable test
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8902f79264d95ed84e4c9fb4749b3956b4c74349

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Fix Perl coding error in msvc build system. Code like 'open(P, "cl
/? 2>&1 |") || die "cl command not found";' does not actually catch
any errors, because the exit status of the command before the pipe
is ignored. The fix is to look at $?. This also gave the
opportunity to clean up the logic of this code a bit.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d30292b8c45a1d909ff7d84bd6787c8827134fc3

Andres Freund pushed:

- Force some system catalog table columns to be marked NOT NULL. In a
manual pass over the catalog declaration I found a number of columns
which the boostrap automatism didn't mark NOT NULL even though they
actually were. Add BKI_FORCE_NOT_NULL markings to them. It's
usually not critical if a system table column is falsely determined
to be nullable as the code should always catch relevant cases. But
it's good to have a extra layer in place. Discussion:
20150215170014(dot)GE15326(at)awork2(dot)anarazel(dot)de
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/82a532b34d7547b43b90e2e4d4953f4be1c655b8

- Allow forcing nullness of columns during bootstrap. Bootstrap
determines whether a column is null based on simple builtin rules.
Those work surprisingly well, but nonetheless a few existing columns
aren't set correctly. Additionally there is at least one patch sent
to hackers where forcing the nullness of a column would be helpful.
The boostrap format has gained FORCE [NOT] NULL for this, which will
be emitted by genbki.pl when BKI_FORCE_(NOT_)?NULL is specified for
a column in a catalog header. This patch doesn't change the marking
of any existing columns. Discussion:
20150215170014(dot)GE15326(at)awork2(dot)anarazel(dot)de
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/eb68379c38202180bc8e33fb9987284e314b7fc8

Jeff Davis pushed:

- In array_agg(), don't create a new context for every group.
Previously, each new array created a new memory context that started
out at 8kB. This is incredibly wasteful when there are lots of small
groups of just a few elements each. Change initArrayResult() and
friends to accept a "subcontext" argument to indicate whether the
caller wants the ArrayBuildState allocated in a new subcontext or
not. If not, it can no longer be released separately from the rest
of the memory context. Fixes bug report by Frank van Vugt on
2013-10-19. Tomas Vondra. Reviewed by Ali Akbar, Tom Lane, and me.
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b419865a814abbca12bdd6eef6a3d5ed67f432e1

- Rename variable in AllocSetContextCreate to be consistent.
Everywhere else in the file, "context" is of type MemoryContext and
"set" is of type AllocSet. AllocSetContextCreate uses a variable of
type AllocSet, so rename it from "context" to "set".
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/74811c4050921959d54d42e2c15bb79f0e2c37f3

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

Shigeru HANADA sent in two more revisions of a patch to implement join
push-down support for foreign tables.

Michael Paquier sent in two more revisions of a patch to ensure that
pg_dump gets attributes from tables in extensions.

Syed Rahila sent in another revision of a patch to implement
compression of full-page writes.

Tom Lane sent in two more revisions of a patch to manipulate complex
types as non-contiguous structures in-memory.

Peter Geoghegan sent in two more revisions of a patch to add INSERT
... ON CONFLICT {UPDATE | IGNORE}.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to implement parallel
sequential scans.

Petr (PJMODOS) Jelinek sent in two more revisions of a patch to
implement TABLESAMPLE.

Ashutosh Bapat sent in a patch to implement some infrastructure for
allowing 2PC across FDWs.

Michael Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to fix pg_dump's
treatment of tables in EXTENSIONs.

Oskari Saarenmaa sent in another revision of a patch to fix aligned
attribute for Sun CC and use custom macros for all attributes.

Alexander Korotkov sent in another revision of a patch to implement
KNN-GiST with recheck.

Michael Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to enable
table-level log_autovacuum_min_duration.

Stephen Frost sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix some odd
behavior of updatable security barrier views on foreign tables.

Michael Paquier sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix a strange
assertion using VACOPT_FREEZE in vacuum.c.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in three more revisions of a patch to fix a bug
where pg_basebackup may fail to send feedback.

Robert Haas sent in another revision of a patch to allow assessing
parallel safety.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in another revision of a patch to add regrole
and regnamespace.

Adam Brightwell sent in another revision of a patch to remove the
catupdate check.

Rugal Bernstein sent in a patch to fix psql/po/zh_CN.po for better
comprehension by people in mainland China.

Corey Huinker sent in a patch to add polymorphic functions to dblink.

Etsuro Fujita sent in another revision of a patch to allow foreign
tables to participate in table inheritance hierarchies.

Bruce Momjian sent in a patch to better document pg_upgrade on
replicas.

David Fetter, Pavel Stehule, and Álvaro Herrera traded patches to fix
a broken behavior in psql's \c for URIs and connect strings where only
part of the specified item got used.

Álvaro Herrera sent in a patch to have RENAME routines return
ObjectAddress rather than OID.

Álvaro Herrera sent in a patch to support more commands in event
triggers.

Fujii Masao sent in another revision of a patch to add
recovery_timeout option to control timeout of restore_command nonzero
status code.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to debloat and deduplicate transaction
commit/abort records.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch to make tuplesort_begin_datum()
consistent with other comparable routines for other tuple cases.

Andres Freund sent in a WIP patch to resolve regtype/regproc in
genbki.pl.

Andrew Dunstan sent in another revision of a patch to add min and max
execute statement time in pg_stat_statement.

Andres Freund sent in a flock of patches to improve deparsing support.

Tom Lane sent in a patch to fix the precedence of standard comparison
operators.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch to add a decay to the threshold that
(estimated) abbreviated key cardinality must cross as a proportion of
the (estimated) cardinality of the original set of strings to be
sorted, while also quadrupling the initial required proportional
cardinality to 20% of full key cardinality (but for just the first
10,000 strings, before this threshold is decayed aggressively).

Pavel Stehule sent in another revision of a patch to add
array_position().