EXEC_BACKEND + logging_collector=on is broken

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: EXEC_BACKEND + logging_collector=on is broken
Date: 2015-01-13 18:23:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Currently the combination from $subject fails for me with "could not
read from backend variables file ...".

The origin for that problem seems to be b94ce6e80 which moved
RemovePgTempFiles() to after SysLogger_Start(). Unless the syslogger
starts up very quickly RemovePgTempFiles() will have deleted the server
variables file.

I think moving the RemovePgTempFiles() to just above SysLogger_Start()
should preserve the faster reporting for pg_ctl intended by b94ce6e80
and fix the startup issue?

I'm rather surprised that this hasn't caused more problems. Apparently
windows users don't use the logging_collector?

Greetings,

Andres Freund