Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use a bitmask to represent role attributes
Date: 2014-12-23 18:30:54
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I am with Tom on this --- there is more wasted space in the 'name'
> column pg_authid.rolname than by shoving 40 boolean values into a
> bitmap. Adding the complexity of a bitmap doesn't make sense here. I
> also apologize for the late feedback.

Okay, it seems we have a majority that does not want this patch -- at
least Tom, Robert and Bruce plus-one'd the reversion. I am going to
revert it, mainly because I don't want to be on the hook for fixing it
later on. I'm also going to mark it Rejected in commitfest.

Adam and Stephen can rework as they see fit, according to whatever
acceptable design is found.