Re: Fixed xloginsert_locks for 9.4

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Smith <gregsmithpgsql(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixed xloginsert_locks for 9.4
Date: 2014-10-03 22:21:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-10-03 18:16:28 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 12:13:00AM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > Do we really want to expose a setting a few of us _might_ ask customers
> > > to change?
> >
> > They also will try that themselves. Our customers aren't a horde of dumb
> > people. Some of them are willing to try things if they hit scalability
> > problesm. And *lots* of people hit scalability problems with
> > postgres. In fact I've seen big users migrate away from postgres because
> > of them.
> >
> > And it's not like this only affects absurd cases. Even a parallel
> > restore will benefit.
>
> I disagree. I just don't see the value in having such undefined
> variables.

"undefined variables"? I'm not arguing that we don't need documentation
for it. Obviously we'd need that. I'm arguing against taking away
significant scalability possibilities from our users. My bet is that
it's more than 50% on a bigger machine.

I don't think we can offer absolutely accurate tuning advice, but I'm
sure we can give some guidance. Let me try.

Greetings,

Andres Freund