Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries.

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alter user set local_preload_libraries.
Date: 2014-08-28 13:01:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

> On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 13:05 +0900, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
> > For the earlier than 9.4, no one seems to have considered
> > seriously to use local_preload_library via ALTER statements so
> > far. Only document fix would be enough for them.
>
> I think local_preload_libraries never actually worked sensibly for any
> specific purpose. It was designed to work with the pldebugger, but
> pldebugger doesn't use it anymore.

Hmm, I see although I don't know pldebugger.

> So before we start bending the GUC system into new directions, let's ask
> ourselves what the current practical application of
> local_preload_libraries is and whether the proposed changes support that
> use at all. I suspect there aren't any, and we should leave it alone.

I found this issue when trying per-pg_user (role) loading of
auto_analyze and some tweaking tool. It is not necessarily set by
the user by own, but the function to decide whether to load some
module by the session-user would be usable, at least, as for me:)

> I agree that we should fix the documentation in 9.3 and earlier.

It seems rather hard work if local_preload_library itself is not
removed or fixed as expressed..

regards,

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi