Re: ALTER TABLESPACE MOVE command tag tweak

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLESPACE MOVE command tag tweak
Date: 2014-08-17 14:26:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro, all,

* Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> Can you be more specific on the exact grammar you're considering? The
> proposal above,
> ALTER TABLE ON ALL TABLES IN TABLESPACE xyz
> doesn't seem very good to me. I would think it'd be more like
> ALTER ALL TABLES IN TABLESPACE xyz
> but then if you return ALTER TABLE as a command tag that might be a bit
> strange. Maybe
> ALTER TABLE ALL IN TABLESPACE xyz
> which AFAICS should work since ALL is already a reserved keyword.

I've implemented the 'ALTER TABLE ALL IN TABLESPACE ...' appproach, as
discussed. Patch attached.

> Also, how would we document this? Would we have it in the same page as
> all the ALTER TABLE variants, or would we create a separate page for
> ALTER TABLE ALL? Keeping in mind that in the future we might want to
> allow things such as ALTER TABLE ALL IN SCHEMA xyz it might be better to
> have the selection logic documented neatly in its own little page
> instead of together with the ALTER TABLE mess which is already rather
> large.

As mentioned, I'll add this to the ALTER TABLE documentation and remove
it from the TABLESPACE docs. That's not done yet but I should have time
in the next few days to get that done also and will then commit it all
to master and back-patch to 9.4, barring objections.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment Content-Type Size
atm_change.patch text/x-diff 27.6 KB