Re: BUG #10680: LDAP bind password leaks to log on failed authentication

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Steven Siebert <smsiebe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #10680: LDAP bind password leaks to log on failed authentication
Date: 2014-06-19 16:09:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
> > I actually don't really see a huge problem with 1, but I need to go
> > review the thread in more detail...
>
> The reason the raw line was added in the first place was debugging cases
> where the running pg_hba.conf might not be the same as the one in the
> filesystem - either because of a reload not being done, or a reload of a
> broken file.

erm, not entirely convinced that's a great reason to log the whole line,
but..

> I think 3 is a good option of these, assuming we can do it in a reasonably
> good way.

I'd be fine with this approach. I'd definitely like to see this
addressed in some manner because it's, clearly, not going to go away as
a request (I remember dealing with similar issues quite a few years ago
and all the arguments about how it "should" be ok to log passwords
didn't fly and we ended up having to address it also).

Thanks,

Stephen