Re: Possible fix for occasional failures on castoroides etc

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible fix for occasional failures on castoroides etc
Date: 2014-05-03 19:29:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2014-05-03 13:25:32 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > On 2012-09-17 08:23:01 -0400, Dave Page wrote:
> >> I've added MAX_CONNECTIONS=5 to both Castoroides and Protosciurus.
>
> > I've just noticed (while checking whether backporting 4c8aa8b5aea caused
> > problems) that this doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. One further
> > thing to try would be to try whether tcp connections don't have the same
> > problem.
>
> I did some googling on this, and found out that people have seen identical
> behavior on Solaris with mysql and other products, so at least we're not
> alone.

Yea, I found a couple report of that as well.

> Googling also reminded me that we could have a look at the source
> (duh), which is still available from hg.openindiana.org.

I didn't get that far ;)

I think we should try whether the problem disappears if tcp connections
are used. That ought to be much more heavily used in the real
world. Thus less likely to be buggy.

While It's not documented as such, passing --host=localhost to
pg_regress seems to have the desired effect. Dave, could you make your
animal specify that?

Greetings,

Andres Freund