Re: Implied BETWEEN from join quals

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Implied BETWEEN from join quals
Date: 2014-04-22 16:00:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon,

This all looks good, and at the risk of being slightly off-topic for
this thread, I just wanted to mention..

* Simon Riggs (simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> Current proposal ends there, but there is a further optimization that
> allows us to remove the join altogether if
> * There is a FK between Fact and Dim

It'd be great if we could start by looking for the above requirement and
then doing join-removal when it exists and no columns from Dim are
referenced (outside of the FK reference, which must result in 'true' or
we've screwed something up).

I had been looking at this about a month ago and just ran out of time to
play with it, but it doesn't seem like it'd be terribly difficult to
do..

Thanks,

Stephen