Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joseph Kregloh <jkregloh(at)sproutloud(dot)com>, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Date: 2014-01-11 16:18:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 06:43:16AM -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> >>Well the issue seems to be with 9.0. I am not exactly sure where
> >>pg_upgrade is pulling its information, but I am guessing from the
> >>error message that on the 9.0 side of things it is using
> >>spclocation. In the OPs situation that is no longer valid for 9.0
> >>once its data directory is moved. The special circumstance here
> >>being that the user tablespace is in PGDATA. I would welcome
> >>enlightenment on this.
> >
> >The problem is that pre-9.2 recorded the tablespace location in
> >pg_tablespace and in the symlink. When the pg_upgrade instructions tell
> >you to rename the old database cluster, it doesn't remind pre-9.2 users
> >to update in-PGDATA tablespaces.
>
> Just so I understand, this is update spclocation in pg_upgrade in
> the pre-9.2 database.

Right. I know there were multiple issue with this upgrade, jails
probably being the biggest, but a new one I had never heard is that _if_
you are placing your tablespaces in the PGDATA directory, and you are
upgrading from pre-9.2, if you rename the old data directory, you also
need to start the old server and update pg_tablespace.spclocation.

No one has ever reported that failure, but it would certainly happen. I
wonder if pg_upgrade should be modified to check that
pg_tablespace.spclocation point to real directories for pre-9.2 servers.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +