Re: Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block
Date: 2013-11-29 17:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 12:27:49AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> I wish we'd just left this whole thing well enough alone. It wasn't
> broken, and didn't need fixing.

Well, this started with a complaint that one SET command outside of a
transaction had no effect, and expanded to other SET commands and the
ABORT/notice inconsistency.

I realize the doc discussion is probably excessive, but we do regularly
get credit for our docs:

https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1316
The PostgreSQL manual is a thing of quiet beauty.

I hope "quiet beauty" matches our discussion goal here. :-)

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +