Re: Replication Node Identifiers and crashsafe Apply Progress

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>
Subject: Re: Replication Node Identifiers and crashsafe Apply Progress
Date: 2013-11-21 13:26:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-11-21 08:22:05 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

> >> But I thought the internal identifier was exactly what we're creating.
> >
> > Sure. But how often are we a) going to create such an identifier b)
> > looking it up?
>
> Never. Make that the replication solution's problem. Make the core
> support deal only with UUIDs or pairs of 64-bit integers or something
> like that, and let the replication solution decide what they mean.

I think we're misunderstanding each other. I was commenting on your fear
that strings longer than NAMEDATALEN or something would be bad for
performance - which I don't think is very relevant because the lookups
from "public" to "internal" identifier shouldn't be in any performance
critical path.

I personally would prefer a string because it'd allow me to build an
identifier using the criterions I'd originally outlined outside of this
infrastructure.

Greetings,

Andres Freund