Re: UTF8 national character data type support WIP patch and list of open issues.

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, maksymb(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com, hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UTF8 national character data type support WIP patch and list of open issues.
Date: 2013-09-20 10:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 08:58:53AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> For example, "CREATE TABLE t1(t NCHAR(10))" will succeed if NCHAR is
> UTF-8 and database encoding is UTF-8. Even succeed if NCHAR is
> SHIFT-JIS and database encoding is UTF-8 because there is a conversion
> between UTF-8 and SHIFT-JIS. However will not succeed if NCHAR is
> SHIFT-JIS and database encoding is ISO-8859-1 because there's no
> conversion between them.

As far as I can tell the whole reason for introducing NCHAR is to
support SHIFT-JIS, there hasn't been call for any other encodings, that
I can remember anyway.

So rather than this whole NCHAR thing, why not just add a type
"sjistext", and a few type casts and call it a day...

Have a nice day,
> not attach much importance to his own thoughts.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer