Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.3 Beta1 status report
Date: 2013-05-02 23:13:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 03:03:58PM -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:
> Some suggestions, perhaps just based on my preference for verbosity:
>

> <para>
> Add cache of local locks (Jeff Janes)
> </para>
>
> <para>
> This speeds lock release at statement completion in transactions
> that hold many locks; it is particularly useful for pg_dump.
> </para>
>

> I think this is equally important for restoration of dumps, if the restoration
> is run all in one transaction. (Making the dump and restoring it have similar
> locking and unlocking patterns)

Do you have proposed wording? I can't say just dump/restore as it only
helps with _logical_ dump and _logical_ restore, and we don't have a
clear word for logical restore, as it could be pg_restore or piped into
psql. We could do:

that hold many locks; it is particularly useful for pg_dump and restore.

but "restore" seems very vague.

> <para>
> Split pgstat file in per-database and global files (Tomas Vondra)
> </para>
>
> <para>
> This reduces the statistics management read and write overhead.
> </para>
>

> Should be "split pgstat file into", not "split pgstat file in"

That one was easy, fixed.

> Also, should it mention that the overhead reduction is particular to when a
> cluster has a large number of databases?

Well, if you have just two databases with many tables, it still helps.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com