Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Heroku early upgrade is raising serious questions
Date: 2013-04-09 09:49:43
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 11:27:53PM +0200, damien clochard wrote:
> Now I understand that Heroku (and other DBaaS providers) may host
> hundreds of thousand PostgreSQL servers and I understand that upgrading
> so many servers in a few hours is something very hard to acheive. But

And the other question that comes up is why are we only talking about this in
the context of a DBaaS provider. Lets just create an example. Assume you have a
distributed system storing all the data about the whole population for a
country with one database per municipality. This could lead to a lot of
databases and obviously the same problems, but no one, at least so far, would
consider them a packager. So they would have the same deployment problem but no
access to the fix before the end of our embargo time.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Jabber: michael.meskes at gmail dot com