Re: Fix for pg_upgrade and invalid indexes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix for pg_upgrade and invalid indexes
Date: 2013-03-30 03:35:13
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 07:03:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Those columns cannot be NULL, so using IS DISTINCT FROM seems a bit
> > clumsy.
>
> That was what I started to write, too, but actually I think the IS
> DISTINCT is correct and the RIGHT JOIN should be a LEFT JOIN. Note
> that the query appears to be intended to collect regular tables as
> well as indexes. (As patched, that's totally broken, so I infer
> Bruce hasn't tested it yet.)

Yes, I only ran my simple tests so far --- I wanted to at least get some
eyes on it. I was wondering if we ever need to use parentheses for
queries that mix normal and outer joins? I am unclear on that.

Attached is a fixed patch that uses LEFT JOIN. I went back and looked
at the patch that added this test and I think the patch is now complete.
I would like to apply it tomorrow/Saturday so it will be ready for
Monday's packaging, and get some buildfarm time on it.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_upgrade.diff text/x-diff 4.8 KB