Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)
Date: 2013-01-18 18:12:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2013-01-18 12:45:02 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Dimitri Fontaine (dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr) wrote:
> > Please find attached a preliminary patch following the TEMPLATE ideas,
> > and thanks in particular to Tom and Heikki for a practical design about
> > how to solve that problem!
>
> Given that it's preliminary and v0 and big and whatnot, it seems like
> it should be bounced to post-9.3. Even so, I did take a look through
> it, probably mostly because I'd really like to see this feature. :)

To be fair, the patch start its life pretty early on in the cycle and
only got really reviewed (and I think updated) later. I just got
rewritten into this form based on review.

> 'Template' seems like a really broad term which might end up being
> associated with things beyond extensions, yet there are a number of
> places where you just use 'TEMPLATE', eg, ACL_KIND_TEMPLATE. Seems like
> it might become an issue later.

I think Tom came up with that name and while several people (including
me and I think also Dim) didn't really like it nobody has come up with a
better name so far.

Greetings,

Andres Freund