Re: Inconsistent format() behavior for argument-count inconsistency

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inconsistent format() behavior for argument-count inconsistency
Date: 2013-01-18 18:10:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Why do we throw an error for too few arguments, but not too many?

Not sure offhand, though I could see how it might be useful. A use-case
might be that you have a variable template string which is user defined,
where they can choose from the arguments that are passed which ones they
want displayed and how. Otherwise, you'd have to have a bunch of
different call sites to format() depending on which options are
requested.

I'd go look at what C sprintf() does, as I feel like that's what we're
trying to emulate and see what it does.

There is also a patch that I reviewed/commented on about changing format
around a bit. I'm guessing it needs more review/work, just havn't
gotten back around to it yet.

Thanks,

Stephen