Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)

From: Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)
Date: 2013-01-16 13:18:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 2013-01-16 13:08:27 +0100, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net wrote:

> One start might be to actually start having commitfest managers.

(I'm skipping over this point, since Craig's nomination as CF manager is
being discussed elsewhere in this thread.)

> As in it technical works, but it's better to do it in a different way.
> I'm not sure how to catch those better.

It may be best to return the patch with feedback in that case (i.e. fail
fast) rather than fix the problem. With some advice about the right way
to do things, the original author or someone else can do the remaining
work before a committer looks at it again. If that works, then everyone
involved will have a better idea of where each patch stands, rather than
having the opaque backlog we do now.

In the best case, more people can get some hands-on experience in what
it takes to prepare properly committable patches, and thus improve any
reviews they do in future. I can only speak for myself, but I would be
happy to help polish up patches like this.

I don't know if this will help (and I haven't checked to see if it's
been discussed before), but perhaps it's worth trying? Right now there
seems to be very little else we non-committers can do to help directly.

Aside: I thought about importing all CF patches into separate branches
in one git repository, so that one doesn't have to play hunt-the-wumpus
to find the latest version of a patch, and it's easier to submit small
fixes, easier to reject or fix patches that don't apply, easier to fix
whitespace errors once and for all (or even run pg_indent), etc. If any
committers think it would be helpful, please let me know.

> We also talked about the one-patch-one-review. Did someone ever check
> if that worked out - did we get that spread, or did we end up with the
> same ratio as last time?

Here's a breakdown based purely on the names from the CF page (i.e. I
didn't check archives to see who actually posted reviews, and didn't
take into account reviews posted without updating the CF page).

First, authors:

1 Abhijit Menon-Sen
1 Alexander Korotkov, Oleg Bartunov
1 Alexander Lakhin
1 Amit Kapila, Hari Babu
1 Asif Rehman
1 Atri Sharma
1 cjk
1 Dean Rasheed
1 Etsuro Fujita
1 Greg Smith
1 Heikki Linnakangas
1 Jameison Martin
1 Jan Wieck
1 Jeff Janes
1 Jeremy Evans
1 Joachim Wieland
1 Josh Kupershmidt
1 Kevin Grittner
1 Kyotaro Horiguichi
1 Lars Kanis
1 Marko Tiikkaja, Joel Jacobson
1 Oskari Saarenmaa
1 Phil Sorber
1 Robert Haas
1 Satoshi Nagayasu
1 Vik Reykja
1 Will Leinweber
2 Álvaro Herrera
2 Andres Freund
2 Fujii Masao
2 Kyotaro Horiguchi
2 Peter Eisentraut
3 Amit Kapila
3 Dimitri Fontaine
3 Pavel Stehule
3 Tomas Vondra
3 Zoltán Böszörményi
7 Alexander Korotkov
13 Karl O. Pinc

Second, reviewers:

1 Alastair Turner
1 Ali Dar
1 Amit Khandekar
1 Andrew Dunstan
1 Asif Rehman
1 Dimitri Fontaine
1 Etsuro Fujita
1 Hari Babu
1 Heikki Linnakangas
1 Ibrar Ahmed
1 Jeevan Chalke
1 Josh Berkus
1 Josh Kupershmidt
1 KaiGai Kohei
1 Kevin Grittner
1 Kyotaro Horiguchi
1 Magnus Hagander
1 Michael Paquier
1 Muhammad Usama
1 Piyush Newe
1 Simon Riggs
1 Vik Reykja
1 Zoltán Böszörményi
2 Abhijit Menon-Sen
2 Andres Freund
2 Fujii Masao
2 Karl O. Pinc
2 Marko Tiikkaja
2 Noah Misch
2 Shigeru Hanada
2 Tom Lane
3 Peter Geoghegan
3 Tomas Vondra
4 Jeff Davis
4 Pavel Stehule
4 Robert Haas
6 Amit Kapila
9 Peter Eisentraut
10 Nobody

I haven't looked too carefully, but it seems to me that the people who
reviewed patches reviewed more than the number they submitted, but also
many people didn't review anything.

-- Abhijit