Re: Review of Row Level Security

From: "Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
To: "Kohei KaiGai" <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>,"Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,"Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Review of Row Level Security
Date: 2012-12-22 20:13:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kohei KaiGai wrote:

> RLS entry of wiki has not been updated for long time, I'll try to
> update the entry for high-level design in a couple of days.

Thanks, I think that is essential for a productive discussion of
the issue.

For me, it would help tremendously if you could provide a very
short statement of the over-arching goal of the current development
effort. As an example, I could summarize the SSI development as:

"Ensure that the result of executing any set of successfully
committed serializable transactions is the same as having run those
transactions one at a time, without introducing any new blocking."

Proceeding from a general goal statement like that, to general
principles of how it will be achieved before getting down to
implementation details helps me put the details in proper context.

I apologize again for coming in so late with strong opinions, but I
thought I knew what "row level security" meant, and it was just a
question of how to do it, but I can't reconcile what I thought the
feature was about with the patch I'm seeing; perhaps it's just a
lack of the hight level context  that's making it difficult.

-Kevin