Re: Feature Request: pg_replication_master()

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Feature Request: pg_replication_master()
Date: 2012-12-20 19:15:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 07:32:33PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > As ever, we spent much energy on debating backwards compatibility
> > rather than just solving the problem it posed, which is fairly easy to
> > solve.
>
> I'm still of the opinion (as were a lot of people on the previous
> thread, IIRC) that just making them GUCs and throwing backward
> compatibility under the bus is acceptable in this case. Changes that
> break application code are anathema to me, because people can have a
> LOT of application code and updating it can be REALLY hard. The same
> cannot be said about recovery.conf - you have at most one of those per
> standby, and if it needs to be changed in some way, you can do it with
> a very small Perl script. Yes, third-party tools will need to be
> updated; that is surely a downside, but I think it might be a
> tolerable one in this case.

Agreed. We have always has a more lax requirement of changing the
Postgres administration interface. I am not saying to ignore backward
compatibility, but future admin interface clarity overrules backward
compatibility in most cases. If people are really worried about this,
they can write a Perl script to convert from the old to new format.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com