Re: Slow query: bitmap scan troubles

From: "Kevin Grittner" <kgrittn(at)mail(dot)com>
To: postgresql(at)foo(dot)me(dot)uk,"postgres performance list" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow query: bitmap scan troubles
Date: 2012-12-04 19:09:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

postgresql(at)foo(dot)me(dot)uk wrote:

> Ah okay, thanks. I knew I could set various things but not
> effective_work_mem (I tried reloading the edited config file but
> it didn't seem to pick it up)

Check the server log, maybe there was a typo or capitalization
error.

To test on a single connection you should be able to just run:

SET effective_cache_size = '88GB';

By the way, one other setting that I have found a need to adjust to
get good plans is cpu_tuple_cost. In my experience, better plans
are chosen when this is in the 0.03 to 0.05 range than with the
default of 0.01.

-Kevin