Re: Hot Standby Feedback should default to on in 9.3+

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby Feedback should default to on in 9.3+
Date: 2012-12-01 00:25:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2012-11-30 16:09:15 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Without hot standby feedback, reporting queries are impossible. I've
> > experienced it. Cancellations make it impossible to finish any
> > decently complex reporting query.
>
> The original expectation was that slave-side cancels would be
> infrequent. Maybe there's some fixing/tuning to be done there.

I've mostly seen snapshot conflicts. Its hard to say anything more
precise because we don't log any additional information (its admittedly
not easy).

I think it would already help a lot if
ResolveRecoveryConflictWithSnapshot would log:
* the relfilenode (already passed)
* the removed xid
* the pid of the backend holding the oldest snapshot
* the oldest xid of that backend

Most of that should be easy to get.

But I don't think we really can expect a very low rate of conflicts if
the primary has few longrunning transactions but the standby does.

Greetings,

Andres Freund