Re: embedded list v2

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: embedded list v2
Date: 2012-09-09 15:36:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Alvaro,

Thanks for the review!

On Thursday, September 06, 2012 06:09:35 PM Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Here's a prettified version of this stuff. I found one bug in the macro
> ilist_s_head: the test was reversed.
Oh, good catch. I had only used the _unchecked version because my code checked
that there are elements just some lines before that...

> Also, curiously, the macro had the same name as the struct, so I renamed the
> macro. I take it you haven't used this macro, so maybe it shouldn't be
there at all? Or maybe I completely misread what the macro is supposed to do.
According to my patches here that got introduced by me whe renaming
_front/back to _head/tail according to Roberts wishes. Sorry for that.

> I also renamed all the structs and functions by changing ilist_s_foo to
> Slist_foo. Similarly for ilist_d_foo. This is all mechanical so any
> subsequent patch should be trivial to refresh for this change.
Ok. I concur with robert that a lower case first letter might be better
readable but again, I don't really care that much.

> I think README.ilist (which is what you had in the comment at the top of
> ilist.h) should be heavily expanded. I don't find it at all clear.
Hm. I agree :(. Let me have a go when you have a state you find acceptable
otherwise...

> There were other cosmetic changes, but the implementation is pretty much
> the same you submitted.
Good.

> I didn't look at the other patch you posted, replacing dllist.c usage;
> will do that next to verify that the list implementation works.
Thanks!

Greetings,

Andres