Re: Yet another failure mode in pg_upgrade

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Yet another failure mode in pg_upgrade
Date: 2012-09-03 13:52:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:47:06PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Updated patch attached.
>
> [ looks at that for a bit... ] Now I see why you were on about that:
> the method you used here requires both clusters to have the same socket
> directory. Which is silly and unnecessary. Revised patch attached.

I was trying to avoid setting the host for every client database
application, so I set PGHOST, but your use of get_db_conn() has
simplified that, which I had not considered. Also, you will need to
update the comment above cluster_conn_opts() to match your new function
name.

I am working on an additional enhancement that also pulls the live
cluster's port number from the postmaster.pid file. I am attaching the
part of my patch that was modified to add that feature. This allows
live checks without requiring any port numbers to be specified. Let me
know if you would like me to email you that merged into your patch, if
you want it for 9.2.

Also, I don't see my doc addition on your patch; was that intentional?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
sock.diff text/x-diff 4.4 KB