Re: Use of rsync for data directory copying

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use of rsync for data directory copying
Date: 2012-07-15 01:17:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

* Bruce Momjian (bruce(at)momjian(dot)us) wrote:
> If two writes happens in the middle of a file in the same second, it
> seems one might be missed. Yes, I suppose the WAL does fix that during
> replay, though if both servers were shut down cleanly, WAL would not be
> replayed.
>
> If you using it for a hot backup, and WAL would clean that up.

Right... If it's hot backup, then WAL will fix it; if it's done after a
clean shut-down, nothing should be writing to those files (much less
multiple writes in the same second), so checksum shouldn't be
necessary...

If you're doing rsync w/o doing pg_start_backup/pg_stop_backup, that's
not likely to work even *with* --checksum..

So, can you explain which case you're specifically worried about?

Thanks,

Stephen