Re: pl/perl and utf-8 in sql_ascii databases

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: badalex(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com, cb(at)df7cb(dot)de, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/perl and utf-8 in sql_ascii databases
Date: 2012-06-22 06:31:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

> > The attached ugly patch does it. We seem should put NO_LOCALE=1
> > on the 'make check' command line for the encodings not compatible
> > with the environmental locale, although it looks work.
>
> +REGRESS_LC0 = $(subst .sql,,$(shell cd sql; ls plperl_lc_$(shell echo
snip.
> Hrm, that's quite cute. I dunno if there is a more cannon way of doing
> the above-- but it seems to work. I'm not sure this regression test is
> worth it. I'm thinking maybe we should just remove
> theegressionegression test instead.

I agree. That is the fundamental question. I've coded just for my
fun but I don't see not so much signicance to do that. We might
omit the test for this which is non-ciritical and corner cases.

I'll leave it to your decision whether to do that.

> There is a minor issue with the patch where
> sql/plperl_lc_sql_ascii.sql contains the text "plperl_lc.sql". After
> copying sql/plperl_lc.sql to sql/plperl_lc_sql_ascii.sql everything
> worked as described.

Ah. It is what was a simbolic link. I made the patch with doubt
whether symlink could be encoded into diff, and saw the doubious
result but left as it is :-p. I leaned that no meaningful
symbolic-link cannot be used in source tree managed by git.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

== My e-mail address has been changed since Apr. 1, 2012.