Re: error "permission denied for relation" on postgresql 9.0.6 during CREATE TABLE

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Giuseppe Sacco <giuseppe(at)eppesuigoccas(dot)homedns(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error "permission denied for relation" on postgresql 9.0.6 during CREATE TABLE
Date: 2012-01-27 16:54:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday, January 27, 2012 8:25:56 am Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi,
> I get this error while executing a CREATE TABLE statement.
> This is my CREATE statement:
>
> CREATE TABLE agenzia.BarcodeByDocumentInfo (
> docId VARCHAR(17) NOT NULL,
> defaultOp VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Append',
> CONSTRAINT BcByDocInfo_pk PRIMARY KEY (docId),
> CONSTRAINT BcByDoc_defOp_ck
> CHECK ( defaultOp = 'Append' OR defaultOp = 'Overwrite' ),
> CONSTRAINT BcByDoc_docId_fk FOREIGN KEY(docId)
> REFERENCES agenzia.Documents(docId)
> );
>
> When I execute it on postgresql 9.0.6 I get this messages:
>
> NOTICE: CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index
> "bcbydocinfo_pk" for table "barcodebydocumentinfo" ERROR: permission
> denied for relation documents
>

> I am owner of table "documents":
>
> neos=> \dt agenzia.documents
> List of relations
> Schema | Name | Type | Owner
> ---------+-----------+-------+-------
> agenzia | documents | table | neos
> (1 row)
>
> I read the documentation about postgresql 9.0 and it seems the error
> message is about permission "x". As you may see "x" is among my
> permissions:

The x(REFERENCES) permission needs to be on both tables for the owner of the
referenced table(noes).

This is what I got from the thread below:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2011-02/msg00957.php

So see what your permissions are on for table barcodebydocumentinfo. Also who
the owner of barcodebydocumentinfo is.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com