Re: Authentication configuration for local connections on Windows

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: deepak <deepak(dot)pn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Authentication configuration for local connections on Windows
Date: 2011-11-17 23:53:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:41:22 pm deepak wrote:
> Hi !
>
> When attempting to start Postgres 9.1.1 with hba conf for "local"
> connections on Windows, I get an error.
>
> e.g. I tried adding the following line to pg_hba.conf
> local all user1 trust
>
> and I get:
> pg_ctl -D pgsql\data -w start
> waiting for server to start....LOG: local connections are not supported by
> this build
> CONTEXT: line 92 of configuration file "C:/pg/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf"
> FATAL: could not load pg_hba.conf
> .... stopped waiting
> pg_ctl: could not start server
>

> Although, it is not clear what options I have to use while
> building/configuring?
> This same configuration used to work with Postgres 9.0.3, though
>
> Any thoughts?

Local refers to Unix sockets. Windows does not have them so you will need to use
localhost.

For the reason why:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/release-9-1.html
Reject local lines in pg_hba.conf on platforms that don't support Unix-socket
connections (Magnus Hagander)

"Formerly, such lines were silently ignored, which could be surprising. This
makes the behavior more like other unsupported cases. "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com