Re: random isolation test failures

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: random isolation test failures
Date: 2011-09-27 00:57:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 01:10:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > We are seeing numerous occasional buildfarm failures of the fk-deadlock2
> > isolation test,
>
> Yeah, I complained about this already, but Kevin disclaims all
> responsibility for the fk isolation tests. It looks like Alvaro
> and Noah Misch are the people to be harassing.

Yep; I took advantage of Kevin's test harness for some unrelated tests.

These sporadic failures happen whenever the test case takes longer than
deadlock_timeout (currently 100ms for these tests) to setup the deadlock. I
outlined some mitigating strategies here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/20110727171438.GE18910@tornado.leadboat.com

I'd vote for #1: let's double the deadlock_timeout until the failures stop.
Other opinions?

Thanks,
nm

Attachment Content-Type Size
fk-isolation-200ms.patch text/plain 1.1 KB