BUG #6208: crash when c: occupied by removable drive

From: "Richard G(dot) Bayer" <bayer(at)nws(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #6208: crash when c: occupied by removable drive
Date: 2011-09-16 09:37:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 6208
Logged by: Richard G. Bayer
Email address: bayer(at)nws(dot)cz
PostgreSQL version: 8.4.7
Operating system: Windiws XP 32-bit
Details:

After hours of debugging an application we bought we figured out that the PG
library was the reason.
The computer had a specialty: Installed with a all-in one reader drive
(Apacer) the main HDD partition settled on E: and left C: and D: for
removable SD, CompactFlash etc.
The library handled well the case when C: was not present at all. But as
soon as there was a removable media drive (in UI saying "insert media") the
library crashes. It somehow checks C: and does not handle this Exception
(Insert-Some-Damn-SD-Exception).

I found that out when I moved those removables to X: and Y:. With no C: at
all the application started to work like a charm.

I have no idea if this remained to the following versions, but it is such a
rare circumstance, that I believe your testers could miss it.

Hope this was helpful, Richard G. Bayer