Problem restoring a dump

From: Johann Spies <jspies(at)sun(dot)ac(dot)za>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem restoring a dump
Date: 2011-09-13 09:18:31
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good day,

I have installed postgresql 9.0 on my Debian and thought that restoring
the database would be as simple as psql -f <the dump made by 8.4's
pg_dumpall>.

However: I get several errors like this:

psql:pgdump.txt.1:4453471: ERROR: character 0xe280a6 of encoding "UTF8"
has no equivalent in "LATIN1"

I have changed the client-encoding of psql to UTF8 but I see after the
restore of the dump the encoding is still LATIN1.

How do I overcome this?

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are
your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens
are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than
your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8,9